Thursday, October 20, 2011

Journal #3

The most interesting thing you learned about the outdoors today.
Believe it or not the most interesting thing that I learned at Hemlock Overlook Regional Park was that copper head snakes were present.  That fact surprised me and then I also didn’t realize that they were poisonous. Luckily we didn’t come across any!  It was unfortunate that the weather was so terrible because I’m sure there would have been many other interesting things that we would have experienced.

Two effective learning strategies you observed being implemented by Mr. Pitrizzi.
The first effective learning strategy I observed was that he made the experience for us very hands-on.  It’s one thing to be talked to and taught about something, but it’s another when you can actually put your hands on it.  He let us get in the creek and showed us how to turn over rocks and logs looking for wild life.  The second effective learning strategy was that he made us pay attention to things that you might not otherwise have noticed such as the bird calls.  And, it wasn’t just that he said listen to the bird calls, but he was able to tell us which sounds went with which birds.

One thing you learned about yourself today.
The one thing that I learned about myself was that I could deal with tough outside weather conditions and overcome them with the right clothing/gear and a little perseverance.  I think we all learned that even under the weather conditions you can still learn.

One activity you would add if you were to expand today’s activity to a full day.
The one activity that I thought would have been fun would have been if we could have done some fishing.  I’m sure we would have caught some fish if we threw some lines in the water. Now, that might have been difficult since I think everyone would have had to get a fishing license.  However, instead of fishing, another activity or information that would have been both fun and useful was if we learned about any plants that were edible – just in case!   

No comments:

Post a Comment