Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Journal #1

What you found most interesting that you might be learning or doing in this course:
One part of class that I’ve found to be most interesting thus far is that in the upcoming weeks we’re going to be spending the day with and learning from a Naturalist.  I’m also looking forward to getting the opportunity to visit different parks and learn about the outdoors in general and outdoor educational and recreational activities.   
Whether or not the course is what you expected and Why or Why Not:
In general, I think the course was what I was expecting.  I knew there was going to be an outdoor aspect to it, but I was unsure exactly what it might be until reading the syllabus.  The course deals with outdoor education, so I assumed we would be developing a lesson plan for outdoor activities that might be useful for us in our careers.  I also thought that there would outdoor activities we would be participating in and seeing that Geocaching is one such activity is something that I believe will be fun for the entire class.
Two “things” you hope to learn in this class:
The first thing that I hope I can learn from this class is how to become a good leader and learn the skills necessary to be able to teach others about all aspects of outdoor activities and recreation and to appreciate them.   The second thing that I’m hoping to learn from this class is an even greater appreciation for the outdoors than what I have right now by learning things that I might not otherwise have known without taking this class.
How you think Outdoor Education can help you in your future endeavors:
For one, I believe that outdoor education will come into play later in my life as a coach.  I believe the skills that I will learn from the team building and lesson plan creation activities will be very similar to those that I will need to do in coaching a team full of young kids.  Secondly, I believe that outside of any future classroom or coaching activities that I may be involved in, outdoor education will provide my personal life with a greater appreciation for outdoor elements that I might have just taken for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment